Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Chronicle for Aug. 21-28, 2005

August 21, 2005.

Maybe you've been wondering what I've been up to? Well, I've just been trying to enjoy these last few days of our Canadian summer that's slipping away.

Is it just now, or is it a conditioned reflex from childhood that I find the days before the return to school to be particularly melancholy?

Fortunately, it's also pickling time, and this year I must admit I made a great batch of dills for the winter.



Made quite a few of them too, a couple of Sundays ago, about two dozen jars. I call them "Danka's Korniszony" after my friend in Kaszowo who gave me her family recipe some ten years ago.


Later that same day, Anna and her friend m came over to hang out. I promised to put her picture on the web for her.


Louise and I spent the following weekend in Rigaud. Aug. 27, 2005.


We were guests of the beautiful, charming and talented Geneviève.


It was a relaxing weekend. We played some tennis and lay around the pool.


When we weren't swimming, sunbathing, schmoozing or snoozing, we were eating delightful gourmet meals prepared by chef Geneviève.


All in all, a perfect weekend on the shores of the Ottawa River.

To top it off, after we got home on Sunday, Anna and I made an impromptu trek to the Rolling Stones concert and were rewarded with a free spot not too far from the stage, with a good view of Mick, Keith and the jumbotron. Sunday, Aug. 28, 2005.

No comments: